Sunday, January 23, 2022

Nothing Changes?

 I was first recruited for Amway in 1985 or so. I was a senior in college and I was invited to a "beer bust". Imagine how weird it was to arrive at a beer bust to see my friend (who invited me and others) in a suit and pitching Amway to us. (Where was the damn beer?). So we got tricked into a meeting but we stayed to hear them out. We left and winded up going to buy beer. LOL.

My friends and I spoke about whether Amway could actually work an we concluded that selling stuff would be a difficult challenge that we may not be able to overcome.

We saw the 2-5 year plan and we saw the possibility of retiring young and "walking away" and living high on the hog for years to come. Back then, we saw picture of checks that Toshio Taba had received. (He has since passed away). We wondered if there was a niche market where some Amway products could be sold and profits could be made. We came to the conclusion that Amway products are too expensive to be competetive and we passed on the opportunity. The friend who invited us, of course told us he was going to be rich and would not be available to hang out with us. He quit 2 months later and rejoined our group of friends.

When I later saw the plan again, a friend of mine had joined Amway and had some level of success. He assured me that Amway was "easy" and that I could achieve the same success if I followed him. But it's not true. Even though I attained a level in Amway (4000 PV), I made no net profit. I suspect my sponsor, even at "direct" or platinum (now) made not net profit because of the expenses associated with being a platinum. (Extra travel, functions and costs to service downline). The concept that reaching a level will bring profits was a lie because "upline" advised that you should spend all profits and reinvest into the "system". Thus any profits were channeled upline in the form of tool purchases.

When I engage with current Amway IBOs and prospects, I honestly see no difference in the teaching that is espoused. The same old tired diamonds are stll around. Sure, there are a few new diamonds but the old ones who disappeared are greater in number than the new ones. If the system worked, wouldn't new diamonds be coming out of the system regularly? Apparently not. Hasn't anyone figured out that diamonds work until they pass? The Duncans and Wolgamott, Tsurudas and Harimoto have been diamonds for 20 - 30 years. If they were good teachers, where is the fruit on their tree? The tree is bare.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the most obnoxious things about Amway people is their willingness to LIE TO YOUR FACE when trying to trick you to come to a recruitment meeting. They will swear up and down that "it isn't Amway," but once you go you'll find out quickly that it is.

The scumbags in their up-line convince IBOs that this is the right thing to do. Apparently it's not "un-Christian" to lie and deceive people if you can thereby get them to a meeting.

In fact, this behavior is counter-productive. People who have experienced the lie always tell you how outraged and infuriated they were over it. They were promised one thing, and they got something else that they didn't want.

If Amway IBOs were smart (which they aren't) they'd realize that lying to a potential recruit is the fastest way to give the entire Amway racket a lousy reputation.