Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Amway - Complaints About Amway?

Over the years, I have seen literally hundreds (if not more) blogs and testimonials about Amway. Most of them decry the pitfalls of being an Amway IBO. Most of the complaints cite the fact that Amway in general has higher prices than comparable retailers and the fact that the system consisting of voicemail, books, cds and seminars ate up any profits the IBO may have made and resulted in net losses for most. One particular Amway apologist bemoans the fact that the internet is full of bad testomonials about Amway. The reason why there are so many negative testimonials about Amway is because over the years, thousands, possibly millions either had a bad experience for the reasons I cited above, or personally know of someone who had a bad experience.

Amway defenders will often cite the fact that many IBOs sign up and "do nothing" as their defense to this. But I will easily point out that I haven't seen anyone say they signed up, failed to do anything or order products, quit and started blogging about a bad experience in Amway. These defenders will also compare Amway to the gym where people sign up and "do nothing". Whether true or not, I also do not see people who sign up and "do nothing" complain about not receiving health benefits by simply signing up. It is a very weak defense. Conversely, I have seen numerous accounts of folks like myself who did put in effort, some for many years, who did what upline advised and did not see the financial rewards that is promoted in "the plan".

Amway defenders will then try to justify themselves, saying that the better business bureau (BBB) receives few formal complaints about Amway. I will agree with this. Many IBOs never bother to file formal complaints to the BBB or to Amway because in many, probably most cases, the person who quits and may have had a bad experience, was sponsored into the business. The sponsor was often a friend or family member of the IBO who left the business. Many will simply leave and forget the episode and chalk it up to a learning experience in life. Some will complain, but really have to ne venue to voice their remorse about joining. Some of us have found the interent to be quite effective in sharing our experiences and our opinions on why the business did not work. This is what one Amway defender calls the "internet war". What I have pointed out is that critics most often simply point out what the IBOs themselves have done. In many cases, the IBO is his own worst enemy. Afterall, critics didn't deny Amway and Quixtar had a connection, nor did critics make up claims about perfect water, etc.

It would appear that most of the problems has a root in the AMO systems, such as WWDB, BWW, LTD, or N21. Now, not all upline leaders are unethical, but it appears that many are, and new IBOs have no way to identify the good from the bad. It also appears that some of these upline leaders will issue bad avice. Advice that is detrimental to the IBOs, but financially beneficial to themselves, such as telling IBOs to never miss a function, or to buy more cds. In many cases, these unethical uplines do not care about IBO success, their goal is just to move as many support materials as possible, so they can fund their "diamond" lifestyle. Sadly, it is also apparent that the diamond lifestyle may be a facade in some cases. An illusion of wealth portrayed as a recruiting tool.

If you recognize some of these warning signs, ask tough questions of your potential sponsor and visit this or some of the blogs linked to this one for more information.

35 comments:

mrmaximum said...

May I suggest that the statement of Amway being a memeber of the BBB is simply a feather in Amway's cap, not the AMO's. The actual business itself seems to have decent customer service and of course IBO's have little intrest in slagging the company which is to feed them so to speak.

The issue comes from the AMO's, the promises they make, sorry, guarantees they make which upon closer inspection, and after diligent work doesn't seem to pan out.

Are WWDB, BWW, LTD or InterNET part of the BBB? That may be a better aspect to research.

Amthrax said...

Alright, how many people... raise your hands... have ever filed a complaint to the BBB?

...

Exactly. Just because Amway, Quixtar (or MonaVie) doesn't have complaints filed at the BBB doesn't mean that no one has a problem with them.

That excuse is truly a weak one from supporters.

Anonymous said...

Visit this blog or the likes for real advice? Are you serious? Not after what I've read here and there, I think I'll let it pass!

Joecool said...

Anonymous, why don't you man up and show your profit and loss statement and once and for all, be an example of a profitable IBO?

No, I didn't think you would.

K.D. said...

The only way to be successful in Amway (or whatever they call themselves these days) is to be dishonest, i.e., suckering family, friends and associates to buy into it.

Unknown said...

WILL U REPLY FOR THIS!!!!

ON 5TH MAY 2010 - I JOIN AMWAY, WHEN JOINING THEY SAID THIS IS JUST FOR PART TIME, BUT AFTER THAT THEY FORCED ME TO COME FOR 3 MEETINGS A WEEK AND SO, SO I HAVE WITHDRAWN BY MEMBERSHIP AND HAD RETURN THEIR CATALOG AND OTHER STUFFS THEY GAVE ON 15TH OF MAY 2010. FOR JOINING THEY SAID I WILL GET MY MEMEBERSHIP IN 5DAY BUT FOR WITHDRAWNING THEY SAY "IT WILL TAKE 3MONTHS". TILL DATE I HAVE NOT RECEIVED BY 1000 RUPPES. TOTALLY DISAPPOINTING.

IF YOU CAN HELP ME CAN MAIL ME TO sathya_chellam@yahoo.com AND IAM WILLING TO GIVE THE DEALER NAME AND DETAILS

MRS. DEEPA - TRIPLICANE- CHENNAI

Anonymous said...

On December 26, 2010 I was at a local Starbucks and was approached by three different AMWAY IBO trying to get me to join. The funny thing is that one approached me, they left. Another would come in with the same speech and then leave, and the other would come. On the third one I said "Let me guess, you work for AMWAY," he looked at me and said "Oh, you work for them too." I don't think they all work together to get me to join, but they did mention that they were in a 3 hour meeting, sucks for them specially when its a Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I have just become an IBO and my uplines have been nothing but extremely important. Not once have they told me that I HAVE to buy cds or anything else or that I HAVE to go to meetings. This is a recommendation they gave me and tell me what they have done to become successful. I enjoy the meetings because they are fun and enjoyable. So, if people out there are having difficulty making money because your upline is making you spend money then that is why. You don't HAVE to do any of that. I'm a college student that has a tight budget and don't buy anything unless I want to.

For those of you saying that BBB isn't a good way to find out how good the company is, I think that's ridiculous. Sorry, but for me, I'll take the the information from BBB before I take advice from bloggers. If you are going to complain, just file a complaint! Everyone will use BBB and yes your complaint will be seen.

Joecool said...

The BBB doesn't say that Amway is a good business opportunity.

Anonymous said...

i want to join amway my name is rahul no is 9990362612

Anonymous said...

huh?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am highly ofended and disturbed after talking to one of the customer care executive @ Amway today. I am a regular user of Amway products and recently i gotto know the 1+1 free lipstick offer from one of the distributors (who also asked me to view this scheme on amway.in). Another friend of mine who is also a distributor denied of this offer saying that the website is outdated and this scheme has expired.

I tried calling up the amway customer care and to my astonishment and surprize the customer care executive misbehaved and was not even ready to listen to me (since i am not a distributor).
He even told me that the website amway.in is NOT meant for customers and general public and i have no rights to get any information from them.
I wanna ask the autorities 1 question - ultimately the customer pays for the product and don't we have right to get the correct information?? In such an ambiguity and distrust that Amway has created, why should a common man like me ever buy amway prod?

Anonymous said...

^ wow, now THAT's some scary stuff!

Arun Rajendran said...

Hi I m Arun Rajendran i have forgot my internet password. After contacting several times to the amway customer service no response for getting the internet password since 25/9/2011
my ABO.NO is 3717709.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amway is like a network... i too joined listening to their words and even they did not let us go without listening to them. They did not tell us that our monthly PV will become 0 every month.... this is the way each and every one is doing telling us to buy £150 worth trying to be over smart and close in the first days later watching our interest in business leave us slowly.. so this is what business is hmmm UK govt should keep a review where i am confident 60% will definitly vote it is not good. Products are good doen't mean to create dreams and sell them.....

Anonymous said...

i heard about amway but i think it will destroy the indian economy & market and it will affect the indian rupee i.e; our rupee value will decrease . what did u say?

Anonymous said...

Hi this is completely bullshit compan. Their distributor know one thing very nicely that how to wash customer mind. They will wash your mind completely and they will force you to buy their product. They think they are doctor and will advice you to buy all most all product without knowing customer health condition. They will tell you hundred reason to have medicine even they will tell you don't eat fruits they are not good for health. These bullshit distributor will tell you that all medicine comes from other country and when you will see the back of product dabba you will find most of medicine make in India (Gurgaon. I request all of you in place of having these bullshit Amway product try to make your habit to have fruits.

Anonymous said...

Amway Bullshit company and bullshit their product. Amway distributor think they are doctor and will start giving you advice take iron, calcium, salmon omega bla bla.......... I dont know why Amway is making Indian people sick. Their bullshit distributor who will tell you don't eat fruits. And have these tablet. Doctor who studied for 5 years about human body then also they never suggest to make your habit to have supplement continuous. In this Amwa, a lay man and they will become as doctor under Amway training in 3 month and they will suggest to have Amway product long life. I met one lady who was working as Engineer and now in three month training of Amway she has become doctor. Bullshit company, bullshit their product and bullshit their distibutor.

Anonymous said...

rahul, you're my hero!

Anonymous said...

I support you all the way Rahul.

Anonymous said...

I have been in it for a while and im making very good money. also i use the products daily and i love them. i have ve found nothing better on the market... also i used to be fat and ive lost a lot of weight while taking the nutritional suppliments. you dont know jack about this this company

Anonymous said...

I now believe 100% that people make the company. I'm in South Africa and Amway in South Africa is so good. I've been involved with several Companies before. Amway tops them all. Thumbs up to all Amway staffers in Cape Town and Pinetown Offices. I yet have to deal with Johannesburg Office, from what I hear their service is also up to scratch.

I really feel for Amway IBO's who have difficulties in other countries. It is not Amway, but few individual who don't take their jobs seriously.

Thank you

Anonymous said...

rahul you are my hero too! I love your words.

Anonymous said...

bullshit

Anonymous said...

bullshit

Anonymous said...

Looks like the only word you know is BULLSHIT. I think that is why you did not succeed with amway because your life and work ethic is BULLSHIT.
I am an Amway IBO.
We do not sell dreams we help people to connect with what they are hiding in the closet and don't believe they can achieve.
If people sit on a public loo and on the back of the door is a number of a guy that claims he can invest your money and give you great interest on that money , and you actually believe him ... then good luck with that one friend. I will rather get my information from an expert and by the way the internet is the loo door of the world where everybody leaves their no and opinions.
If any one just goes blindly into a business they need to get advice from the experts and not your brother in law or so called experts .

Anonymous said...

Amway great company

Anonymous said...

amway piece of shit, just like you. :)

**proud Amway hater**

Anonymous said...

Both of you is a Piece of Shit! :D

Anonymous said...

This is not true! The first thing they express is that the pills they have for what you need for daily intake is NOT, I repeat NOT a substitute!!

poona said...




I think Family Drug Education is very important to the whole family.





Herbalife Dealers in Chennai

Anonymous said...

All are selling dreams at amway meetings ....... losers ...... get some life.....

Anonymous said...

How do you sell dreams? ... go spend your money on education before you spend it on amway : )

Marzahne said...

To make an oppinion is every one's right and it no need to tell the one or the other that what he is or not doing is bullshit. Amway is just like Jeunesse, an oppertunity for an entreperneur which want something better in life. Just remember only a few entreperneurs make it out in the world and that is the people who are willing to fail and stand up and try again. Remember one thing if you don't work hard for it then it will never come to you. This is doing anything in life. So stop saying this company or that company is a fraud, remember one thing in all companies you have good and bad people working there.

Joecool said...

But Amway is designed for the majority to fail. Just look at the "plan" and you can see that the majority are on the bottom to support the few "platinums" and "diamonds".