Saturday, February 5, 2011

Amway And The Superbowl?

One of the things I thankfully never missed because of my involvement with Amway was a superbowl party. It truly is an event that I enjoy. We hang out with friends for the afternoon. Lots of great food and great fun! But as an IBO, I remember the upline always wanting everyone to make sacrifices in the name of the business. For example, my sponsor told me that he gave up on all of his hobbies in order to focus on Amway. That the delayed gratification would eventually pay off. Sadly, my former sponsor is still active in Amway, 18 years worth. I don't know if his hobbies are still on hold, but I remember people being edified for dumping their golf clubs, their tennis club memberships and other sacrifices.

I remember people would say how they would one day travel the world to play golf, or to fly and play tennis in worl famous venues. That idle time spent with family and friends would not be missed but one day would pay off big when they had diamond groups. That one day, they too could stand on stage, tell about their selfless sacrifices and how it propelled them to diamond. They would look back and realize how small of a sacrifice it really was.

The reality is that IBOs often ended up sacrificing valuable time with their families, their kids, and their friends for nothing. Not a single IBO from my days in the business ever hit the emerald level. I saw kids who grew up with their parent missing important events in their lives in the name of Amway and the dream of financial freedom. The diamonds would say that when the kids are sleeping, you can be showing the plan. But sadly, time passes quickly and can never be replayed. I wonder how some parents, who finally quit after a number of years, were able to explain to their kids about the dreams and unfulfilled promises? I hope honesty was involved in these cases. I truly do.

Luckily for me, my involvement was about a year or less. My damage was minimal. But I feel for people who neglected family and friends to chase a dream that will never come. Hopefully, the family and friends of IBOs who quit will be patient and understanding. Maybe this article will help someone cope. Hopefully, the word will get out so fewer people sell their souls to the upline. I hope everyone has a safe and happy superbowl party and gets to and from their parties safely.

P.S. I think Green Bay might have an edge, but it's hard to pick against a team with 6 superbowl titles. Enjoy the game everyone!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like this, joe. a lot.

go packers!

Joecool said...

I like the Packers, but as I said, I will not be surprised in the Steelers win.

I hope Amway IBOs are not missing the game to attend meetings or to show the plan!

rocket said...

What makes this even more insidious is that some groups have created and promoted books like, "Just wait until We Go Diamond" so that IBO's find it even easier way to deal with the kid concerns to build their business the way their uplines want. Which usually doesn't go very well.

5 to 1 the diamonds make a profit on the children's books they sell to their groups to "help" them.

Superbowl is great and all, but for me, it's the Grey Cup, Canada's version of the Superbowl. I may tune in just the same. Enjoy the game!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
I've been commenting lately on AnnaBanana's blog, and just started reading yours too. I can't tell you how many Amway Super Bowl parties I went to. They all sucked. Tonight is the first one in 5 years that I get to go to that won't have any IBO's there. Thank God. And I might actually get to drink a beer and not feel like a loser. One time, I "qualified" by doing hundreds of contacts in one month for my Diamond Upline's Superbowl party. It was so awesome. NOT. I'm pretty sure after I worked my ass off, I had to pay $10 just to get in. And I'm a girl and I don't even like football. But anything to get around those LTD Diamonds. What a load of crap. I began actually hating football because every football party I ever went to had freakizoid IBO's there. Tonight I'm going to cheers myself for being a FORMER AMBOT. Hope you all have fun at your normal people parties:) CHEERS!!!

Anonymous said...

All succesful business owners, Amway or otherwise, must make huge sacrifices. The reality of my Amway experience is that after 10 years of modest sacrifice I will retire from job at 40 yrs old (34 now), hanging out with my wife and kids (who aren't born yet), for the rest of my life. My dad is a self-made millioniare (not Amway), and I am forever grateful to have been introduced to Amway so I have a vehicele by which to enjoy the same lifestyle my dad provided for me without having to sacrifice my family. And, speakig of the superbowl, my upline is throwing a huge (none Amway) party as we speak.

Joecool said...

Anonymous at 4:24 PM, the difference is that for many real business owners, their sacrifice pays off. For the vast majority of Amway business owners the sacrifices go unrewarded. Not a good return on investment.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous at 4:24 PM,
Your reality is not reality it is a dream.
Confusing reality with a dream is the main reason why Amway and organizations like WWDB exist.
You dream that you will retire from your J-O-B after 10 years in the Amway business and while I applaud your enthusiasm but do not confuse your dreams with reality.
The reality of the business is that while you might one day be in the very small percentage of IBOs who make enough Amway income to retire, sustaining that income without hard work would be virtually impossible. If you don't believe me just ask one of the approximately 4000 out of 5000 Diamonds and above that have fallen out of qualification and left the business over the past 40 years.


***Former WWDB Lemming***

Anonymous said...

Anonymous at February 6, 2011 4:27 PM,

Keep up the awesome work that you have started. God will finish the good work that He has started in you.
Do not listen to these pathetic losers who tell you that you can't do it! I admire you for the ten years of effort that you've put in to be where you're at today! These losers wouldn't be able to last even an year, that's why they quit and now bitch about it! They complain why they did not become millionaires as they were promised to when reality is that they did not work as hard as they should have for whatever the reason. Hey losers! This man is a free man and he has earned it. You too have earned something and that is your well deserved misery!

Joecool said...

Anonymous at 5:12, the anonymous IBO did not say he was retired. He is sayinh he will retire in 6 years. So he's looking at the 2-5 year plan with an extra year. He'slikely to end up with most business building IBOs, in a pile of debt.

Joecool said...

Anon from Canada is back!

Anonymous said...

Hi i wish to tell you that i am a scientist and full time into research. I have the time for my hobbies like bowling, horse riding etc. But the big news is that i am also at emerald level in Amway. Now what do you have to say about that
Mr Joe(un)cool?????????

Joecool said...

Hi Mr. Anonymous Emerald. If you are who you claim, why don't you say who you are? Secondly, my job probably pays more than you earn from Amway.

Anonymous said...

Uhhh... my job probably pays more than his Amway business... so in short, you're not sure, you just guess. That's why Mr Full Of Shit needs a blog to express his doubts and broadcast them as truths. Joe... you honestly need to get a life. If Amway wasn't for you, find something that is. Your focus on Amway has become pathological in nature and is not going to earn you a good reward.

Joecool said...

Well yeah, my job pays more than the average emerald income. And the average emerald income is gross. After taxes and expenses, I'm sure my job pays more than an emerald's net, even after my taxes are considered.

Anonymous said...

Anon from Canada is a broke ass loser!

Anonymous said...

The only reason ambots come to these blogs and blow hot air with their chest-beating paltitudes is - FEAR -. They are terrified that this could be true.

Contrary to what you've been told to blog about us, we worked very hard for years and years in amway. We were double eagles. That, my friend, is hard work.

Calling us lazy losers who weren't willing to do the work is the ONLY card you can play.

I think you need another CASSETTE TAPE. Yes, you do. No go listen to one right now like a good little 'bot.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you were double eagles so you say... then how do you explain that some people make it and some don't?

Anonymous said...

*crickets*

again, nothing. scumbag!

Anonymous said...

Not only are you someone who didn't make it because of your decision to quit because it was too hard but the scumbag who injects doubt in other peoples' minds. You got what you deserve.

Joecool said...

I got what I deserve? A great blog and a great life?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sure you have a great blog and a great life throwing at it. Keep it great!

Anonymous said...

Anon from Canada, why do you even come here to leave your stupid comments and call people names like a 5 year old? You are only making yourself and Amway look bad.
If you disagree with something that is said here why not try to prove it wrong?

***Former WWDB Lemming***

Joecool said...

Anon from Canada is broke and bitter?

Anonymous said...

YEP! XD

Anonymous said...

Because we were Double Eageles, I'm supposed to explain why some make it and some don't? What does that even mean? It's a nonsensical question; so typical of ambots.

I'll explain why as soon as you explan why diamonds drop out like flies.

Anonymous said...

over a month later, and the crickets keep on going.