Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Cost Of Edification?

Edification. During my time in the Amway business, we saw many IBOs get edified, including myself. Of course it felt great when your upline platinum or diamond would say something that made you stand out in the crowd. For example, I remember an IBO being exalted because he quit his job to attend a major function. His boss wouldn't allow him to use vacation time so he quit to attend the function. I remember Brad Wolgamott telling people it's just a job, attend the function and get another one (job). I remember at a family reunion function, a man was edified by the diamonds because he was diagnosed with terminal cancer but instead of being at home and bitching and moaning, there he was at an Amway function, making a difference in the world they would say. But looking back, I truly believe that the upline's intentions were to uplift those who went thru extraordinary efforts to spend money on tools or functions.

In other words, you are buying your edification. Of course when I say you are buying your edification, you are not necessarily doing so in dollars. It can either be in dollars or in time. For example, you may have been edified for listening to 15 standing orders in one day, or you may be edified for driving the miles to show plans, even if the guest was a no-show. I also recall some IBOs in the group being edified for 1000 PV personal use in a month. I honestly don't know who anyone can possibly do 1000 PV in personal use without the purchase of some big ticket items. I mean how much SA8 or LOC can anyone use in the month? I suppose that you could make Nutrilite vitamins your main source of food or something like that and move a lot of PV, but it's ridiculous to spend that much on personal use.

So to what extent are you willing to go to get ediified? For my upline sponsor, it was what he lived for. My sponsor was/is a physician and he therefore could have a nice lifestyle without Amway but he was more interested in the recognition and edification. He ate it up when he was asked to speak at a function once. He told the group in a nite owl that the dream of being on stage as a diamond was more important to him than the money. Sadly, he never got beyond the platinum level as far as I know and last I heard, he was below 4000 PV. Whatever your dream or reason for building Amway, I honestly believe you need to look at the cost of it. For example, you wouldn't sell your soul to the devil in order to go diamond. I actually wonder how my former sponsor feels these days now that our upline diamond (his hero) has moved to Washington and he cannot spend much time with him anymore?

The cost of edification in Amway is high. Are you willing to foot that bill? I'm glad I woke up and decided that there are much better ways to spend my time, money and efforts. Joecool's blog is one of the better things. :-)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

you got THAT right, bud!

Anonymous said...

You know what's really evil? Not only do the upline crooks take your money, they make you think you're only too happy to give them your money. It's like you are buying their praise.

Joecool said...

I find it ironic that IBOs call their upline mentors or people they look up to. When you break it down, those awesome leaders get paid for everything they do for you, Functions, open meetings, etc. These are paid consultants who get no results, not loving mentors.

Anonymous said...

Listen pal, why don't you shut down this blog before I edify you with a knuckle sandwich?
You keep whining like a schoolgirl about all the ills of Amway but you offer no solution and you don't do anything useful to society. Your just a little bitch aren't you Joe?

Joecool said...

Anon from Canada again? Don't you have anything better to do like playing on a busy street?

rocket said...

Why do you need a solution?

Joecool's message is more useful than Dream Night.

Anonymous said...

anon #2, i hope someday someone takes a sledgehammer to your head and SHATTERS IT INTO A MILLION PIECES!!!

Joecool said...

Dream Night is where the diamonds show you their dreams and your ticket purchases help make those dreams come through!

Anonymous said...

Joe, all I can tell you is that you're unfamiliar with how Amway works in both, theory and practice. Your blog is a pathetic testimony to your justifications.

Joecool said...

Oh I know how Amway works. You make these claims without producing any substance. Come on man - man up!

Anonymous said...

thanks for taking the words out of my mouth, joecool.

...well, not all the words. you forgot one more thing: amway is a cult. ha! gotta love the truth.