Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Amway - Taking Personal Responsibility?

One of the disturbing things I have noticed about Amway IBOs and IBO leaders is how they wlll tell downline to trust them. To trust them as they have already blazed a trail. No need to re-invent the wheel. Just ride the coattails of your upline to success. The system is proven. Many IBOs take this to heart and put forth tremendous effort. Then when they fail, upline will shun them and tell them that the failure is their own. That they are personally responsible for failure.

Now I am not talking about IBOs who sign up and do nothing, or never place an order. I do believe that the fact that many IBOs sign up and do nothing brings concerns about how these IBOs were recruited, but I do not recall ever seeing an IBO do nothing and then complain that Amway was a scam or anything like that.

I have found, however, that many people who are critical of Amway and the systems, put forth much effort, did everything they were told, and did not find the success that upline promoted, or in some cases, guaranteed. My former sponsor was still active, last I heard and has been in Amway for over 15 years. I do not believe he has ever gone beyond platinum, and I know that he was never a Q12 platinum. Some Amway apologists might see being a platinum as a bonus, but when you are hard core sold out to the systems, platinum is a break even or make a small profit business. Factor in that time spent by husband and wife and these folks are breaking even or making a fraction of minumum wage. Is this the dream that will allow you to buy mansions with a cash payment?

What is also disturbing is how people will tout the system as responsible for any success, but hide the vast majority that the system doesn't help. Sure, some will succeed in Amway, but for every success, there are hundreds if not thousands who fail. And if you consider diamond as the benchmark of success, the failures could be in the millions. As I said, some succeed, but very very few in relation to the number who try. Going diamond is probably less common in the US than winning the lottery.

Succeed and the systems and upline take credit, but fail or quit and it is your own responsibility. Are these the kinds of leaders or mentors you want advice from?
I will pass.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joecool, I recently emailed you about Amway. I just started about a month ago, and I actually remember signing up on the last few days of the month, and my new upline was telling me to buy products up to 150PV or pressure my family into doing it. I knew that I wasn't magically going to come up with 150 PV, but I was a little confused when the IBO that recruited me said there was no pressure at all, but then the upline above her told me that I had to join this month for some such reason I don't remember. I was pressured in, now I want to find a way to get my money back! I am probably going to sell some stuff without buying any one of those wretched tapes or books or CDs, then quit after that.

Anonymous said...

I was also wondering, what do you think of the products? I personally like Nutrilite, XS, Artistry and Legacy of Clean, but I was wondering if you had any information about the products that refutes all the good claims about them.

Joecool said...

Anonymous @ 3:43. You can get your money back for up to 6 months I believe.

And if you do continue, you will find many cases where they say "no pressure" and then you find out it's not true.

Anonymous said...

Yeah that is true. Some IBOs are more lenient than others, especially my upline that is almost at 7500 PV... He recently told us that his downline under him (they are close partners) would succeed after him in a few months. So "no pressure" is definitely not the appropriate term..

John said...

Hey Joe,
Not to be a Johnny-come-lately, but I started my own Amway blog. Come check it out if you want:

www.ambot0.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

lying scumbags!

Anonymous said...

For you newbies, amway has changed the name of Liquid Organic Cleaner to Legacy of Clean.

Even they are trying to distance themselves from themselves.

Too funny.

Amway, Quixtar, Amway Global, back to Amway.

Amway upline has always relied on turnover in the ranks to pull their crap. After all, who would remember? Guess they weren't counting on the internet to remind them of their pasts!

Anonymous said...

Money back after 6 mos.? Hmmm.........that's changed, too.

When we were building it, they bragged from stage that it didn't matter how long you had it, or whether you used it all, or ran over the box (no kidding), you could still get a full refund. That's what made them sooooo much better than any other biz out there.

When we were getting ready to exit, I started shipping back countless boxes of stuff to amway. They made good on all of it. There was no way I was getting stuck with all that crap.

If someone downline from us ordered a roll of wax paper, we (on warehouse ordering RDC- big whoop!) had to order an entire case. I've been out 9 years and I'm still using up the foil, Scrub Buds, Soft Buds, etc. Yep, we had the proverbial garage full. That's how it was taught.

O.K., ambots, have at it. Tell us it's not like that anymore. We'll need your pin level. When you reach 1000 pv, you are immediately put on RDC. They tell you what a privilege it is - it actually just gets them off the hook of mailing it to you. Shipping out the ass, you know, amway being so cutting edge, and all.